Dr. Ali was awarded his Bachelor’s degree by Al-Azhar University, the first and foremost university in Islamic and Arabic studies based in Cairo, Egypt. He started his career in a research academy. Part of his duties was to read books written in Arabic and English and henceforth approve or disapprove granting permission for publication. However, Dr.Ali could not resist his gushing desire for teaching and so he moved to a career where he could teach Arabic and English. He taught English to non-native speakers and Arabic to both native and non-native speakers.
Since moving to Ireland in 1999, Dr. Ali has lectured in the Mater Dei Institute, Smurfit College, the European Institute and Trinity College.
This very busy schedule of lecturing in universities has never been an obstacle in his way of teaching the Arabic Leaving Certificate where he takes pride in the high grades achieved by his students. In addition, he has been invited by the NCCA to discuss the Arabic curriculum and write a report about it. He has taught the International Arabic baccalaureate for eight years. Every year, one of his students was honoured for her/his Arabic achievement in the annual ceremony held in UCD.
- The Concept of Coexistence in Islamic Primary Sources: An Analytical Examination, Cambridge Scholars, 2015
- Islam and Education in Ireland, an Introduction to the Faith and the Challenges It Faces, Veritas, 2014 3. The Muslim As A European Citizen, Beirut, 2012
- Education Exclusion: A Fundamental Layer of Social Exclusion. In Shanahan, M. ed. (Forthcoming) Does Religious Education Matter? Farnham: Ashgate/Taylor &Francis
- (Forthcoming) Fiqh of Worship, Al-Maktoum Foundation, Dublin
- “Tolerance in Islam”, Church of Ireland, V29, 2006
- “Jewish-Christian Muslim Relations, Dogmatic Appreciation or Confrontation”, Church of Ireland, 2016
With Ali Selim we finished a one year course in just over six months and it was exam questions from there. Ali simplifies things in such a way that you get the most done in the least amount of timeAbdul Roshdi, Leaving Cert